Our Water Header
  Home About Us Events Resources Partners      

Properly Dispose of Household Waste

What’s the issue?
In the United States today, the average household stores up to 10 gallons of hazardous material.  Improperly labeled and stored material can pose a threat to families and particularly to young children.  But in the case of our water, improperly disposed of hazardous waste can pollute our waterways.

Household Hazardous Waste and Chemicals

  • Hazardous products have labels that say “danger”, “caution”, “warning”, or “toxic”.
  • Store them in original containers and make sure they are labeled properly to reduce the risk to your family.
  • Try less toxic alternatives like vinegar and water instead of the typical store-bought window cleaner.
  • Household hazardous wastes include, but are not limited to: fertilizer, pesticides, batteries, old medications, solvents, paint thinner, oil-based paint, aerosol cans, mercury, and corrosives.
  • Dispose at the Household Hazardous Waste Collection days sponsored by the Genesee County Health Department.

Animal waste belongs in the garbage or in the toilet!

  • Animal waste has bacteria that make water unsafe for swimming.
  • Pet waste left on sidewalks or lawns gets washed into storm drains or ditches that leads to water pollution.
  • Be a pooper scooper! Properly dispose of your pet waste in the garbage or down the toilet.

Motor vehicle fluids are recyclable

  • NEVER pour oil down the storm drain!  One gallon of oil can contaminate up to one million gallons of water.
  • Oil and other vehicle fluids are collected at Household Hazardous Waste Collection days
  • Auto part dealers collect these fluids for a nominal fee.

Travel trailer sanitary waste

  • Can be collected at campground facilities.
  • For a listing of disposal sites in Michigan try RVDumps.com


Simple Steps to Keep Our Water Clean

Fertilize sparingly and caringly

Choose Earth Friendly Landscaping

Practice Good Car Care

Properly Dispose of Household Waste

Be a Responsible Waterfront Owner


Do you have household hazardous
waste to dispose of?

Genesee County’s Michigan State University Extension and the Genesee County Health Department host Household Hazardous Waste Collection Days numerous times each year.

For the next collection date, call MSU Extension (810) 244-8524 or the Genesee County Health Department (810) 257-3603

Acceptable materials: Old household pesticides, herbicides, solvents, paint thinners, aerosol cans, oil-based paint, motor oil, mercury, batteries, corrosives, old prescriptions, old tires with no rims.

Unacceptable materials: Explosive and radioactive materials, medical waste, commercial and industrial wastes and latex paint.

There are two collection locations:

    • Flint East – Water Service Center: 3310 E. Court Street; Opposite Consumer’s Energy between Center and Dort.  Take I-69 to either Center or Dort exit, go north to Court Street.
    • Flint Metal Fab – Bristol Rd., Flint.  East of I-75 at Bristol Rd. Exit.

All sites are between the hours of 10:00am and 2:00pm.

Can’t wait until the next Collection Day?
Here are some additional options for the disposal of household hazardous wastes:

Latex paint: Put either kitty litter or sand in equal portions to the pain, leave the top off and let it dry completely.  Once the pain is completely dried out you can place cans in your regular garbage.  Note: The top must be left off.

If you have quite a bit of latex paint left, you can try calling on the theater groups downtown to see if they can use it.

Motor Oil: You can take motor oil to Valvoline.  Different branches have different requirements regarding fees and amount, so contact them first.

Electronics: for a fee of $5.00 CBC Recycling, 115 14th St., Flint, will take electronics, such as television sets (no consoles), computers, printers, fax machines, copiers, stereo equipment, video cameras, video game consoles, dvd players, video cassette recorders (VCR).  Their hours are M-F 9am-3pm: Saturday, first two of the month from 9am-1pm; or by appointment by contacting (810) 239-5040.

Batteries: Throughout the year batteries can be taken to any VG’s Food and Pharmacy.  There is a $0.10 charge and they must be taken to the service desk.



  Contact Us

  Glossary of Terms

  Helpful Links









© 2005-2009 Genesee County Drain Commission
For More Information, please contact:
Genesee County Drain Commission